Incident at Winn-Dixie: a Play in Three Acts

Posted by mountainmelody On 4/10/2007 08:18:00 PM
DRAMATIS PERSONAE
Me
Boy, of slightly redneck appearance
Cashier, bespectacled


ACT I
In the checkout line at Winn-Dixie. Boy, of slightly redneck appearance, is attempting to check out.

Cashier: You’ll have to excuse me. I need to get more tape for the register.
Boy: [Looks back, trying to catch my eye.]
Me: [Looks left, right, back, and down, but not forward. Develops a sudden fascination with shoes.]
Boy: [Mutters incomprehensibly; points at celebrity magazine.]
Me:
Mm hmm.
Boy: People are going to get tired of seeing them everywhere!
Me: Yeah.

Cashier returns.


ACT II
Boy, having checked out, lingers near the register. I begin checking out.

Cashier: Do you have your Winn-Dixie card?
Me: I don’t think I have it with me.
Cashier: Then can I have your phone number?
Me: [nearly whispering] xxx-xxxx.
Cashier: Thank you.


ACT III
I walk slowly out of the store. Boy accosts me just inside the door, where he apparently has been waiting.

Boy: What’s your name?
Me: Why?
Boy: Um, you just look familiar. Where did you go to high school?
Me: Not around here.
Boy: Oh.
Me: [to self] Dumb boys.

Exeunt.

2 Responses to 'Incident at Winn-Dixie: a Play in Three Acts'

  1. Crystal Watford said...
    http://mountainmelody.blogspot.com/2007/04/incident-at-winn-dixie-play-in-three.html?showComment=1176292500000#c465363724792098609'> 6:55 AM

    snicker... :) That's funny!

     

  2. Anonymous said...
    http://mountainmelody.blogspot.com/2007/04/incident-at-winn-dixie-play-in-three.html?showComment=1176325620000#c6923434796071868150'> 4:07 PM

    I can't tell you how many things made me chuckle about this:

    First, and of course, best, is imagining you squirming uncomfortably being in this situation.

    Second, is your use of such proper "play" language...my favorite being "exeunt."

    And third, your description of the cashier as being "bespectacled." I inwardly roared at that. :)

     

archive

followers