Southern women

Posted by mountainmelody On 2/08/2006 09:43:00 PM
From birth, most girls in the South are trained to be gracious, demure, and charming (in public, at least). We are brought up to value harmony over conflict and the comfort of others above ourselves.

This is why all the girls in my discussion-based class got A-minuses and the guys got As.

This is why my mother and grandmother constantly go round and round--"No, let me"; "No, let me!"

This is also why you may think I'm nice, but I really may not be. ;)

So last night, when our Bible study leader asked a group of us Southern girls to decide between three options for the study, the result was interesting.

For a while, no one said anything.

Then people started shrugging and smiling shyly. "It doesn't matter to me." "I don't care."

Finally one girl suggested, "Maybe you could email us and see what everyone thinks." Apparently we might be able to voice our opinions privately in writing, but not in front of the group.

Everyone else kept smiling sweetly. In the end, the leader made the decision.

0 Responses to 'Southern women'

archive

followers